ALLEN D. MORRIS, Plaintiff,
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, et al., Defendants.
ALLEN D. MORRIS, BRIDGETON, NJ, Pro Se Plaintiff.
ELIZABETH ANN PASCAL, U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, OFFICE OF THE U.S. ATTORNEY, CAMDEN, NJ, Attorney for defendants Douglas Herbert, Mark Rowe, Steve Brown, and Richard Henderson.
MARVIN L. FREEMAN, STATE OF NEW JERSEY OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL, TRENTON, NJ, Attorney for defendants State of New Jersey, and New Jersey State Police.
MICHAEL E. BENSON, BUONADONNA & BENSON, VINELAND, NJ, Attorney for defendant City of Vineland.
ROBERT P. MERENICH GEMMEL, TODD & MERENICH, P.A., LINWOOD, NJ, Attorney for defendant City of Pleasantville.
NOEL L. HILLMAN, District Judge.
This matter comes before the Court on plaintiff's motion for default against the State of New Jersey for $300, 000. And, it appearing that:
1. Plaintiff filed a complaint against several defendants, including the State of New Jersey.
2. A summons was issued to the State of New Jersey and returned executed on June 14, 2012, and the Court's docket noting a response due date of July 5, 2012.
3. On February 11, 2013, plaintiff filed a request for entry of default asking the Clerk to enter judgment against the State of New Jersey for failure to answer the complaint.
4. On February 13, 2013, the Clerk entered an entry of default as to the State of New Jersey for failure to plead or otherwise respond.
5. On February 22, 2013, plaintiff filed an amended complaint, which added the New Jersey State Police as a defendant.
6. On April 1, 2013, plaintiff filed a motion for default judgment against the State of New Jersey for failure to answer or otherwise plead.
7. A summons and amended complaint was served on the New Jersey State Police and returned executed on May 30, 2013, and the Court's docket ...