Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

C.L.A. v. E.M.L.

October 7, 2010


On appeal from Superior Court of New Jersey, Chancery Division, Family Part, Middlesex County, Docket No. FV-12-1833-09.

Per curiam.



Submitted September 7, 2010

Before Judges Payne and Messano.

Defendant, E.M.L., appeals from the July 10, 2009 order of a judge of the Family Part denying reconsideration of the judge's finding of domestic violence and his entry of a final restraining order. On appeal, defendant argues that the trial court failed to correctly review and evaluate the testimony at trial; plaintiff did not establish sufficient evidence to support the issuance of a final restraining order; the trial court failed to properly consider the totality of the parties' prior relationship when issuing the order; and the court erred in finding there was an "immediate danger" to the plaintiff under the New Jersey Prevention of Domestic Violence Act. We affirm.


A bench trial was held in this matter, at which time testimony was offered by the plaintiff, C.L.A., her two witnesses, Stephanie Hein and Michael Smith, and defendant's witness, Thomas Cieslik. Defendant did not testify. Neither party was represented by counsel at the trial.

Plaintiff testified that she had been involved in a two-year relationship with defendant, and on the day of the incident at issue, she was pregnant with his child. However, the relationship between the two had ended some time earlier.

On March 12, 2009, defendant picked up plaintiff from work in a friend's car and drove plaintiff to the parking lot of an apartment complex where plaintiff's van was parked. According to plaintiff, while seated with defendant in the friend's car, defendant threatened the life of the unborn child, stating that plaintiff was "not going to make it to full term." Plaintiff thereupon left defendant and entered her own van, sitting in the driver's seat. However, defendant, a 450-pound man, followed her, prevented her from closing the driver's side door, and sought to grab plaintiff's phone, which was located in plaintiff's pocketbook on the front passenger seat. A struggle for the purse then ensued, during which defendant placed his hands in plaintiff's mouth and tried to pry her jaws apart, stuck his fist in her throat, and choked her. As a result, plaintiff was scratched in the area below her cheeks, and her nose and tongue commenced to bleed. Eventually, defendant stopped his assault on plaintiff, but he would not permit her to leave the vehicle, threatening her or grabbing her hands when she tried to do so.

To assuage defendant, plaintiff gave him her telephone, which defendant sought in order to view her text messages. While the two sat in the van, defendant kept plaintiff's hoodie over her face so that passersby could not see that she was bleeding and crying. In total, defendant confined plaintiff to the car for approximately three hours. During that time, plaintiff testified, she thought he was going to kill her.

When, at some point, defendant threatened to kill himself and stated that he wanted to "be with [her] one last time," plaintiff agreed, believing it to be the only way that she would be permitted to leave the van. The two exited the vehicle and proceeded to the friend's apartment. Once there, and after the friend had left, defendant digitally penetrated plaintiff and then refused to permit her to use the bathroom unaccompanied. However, when the friend returned, defendant permitted plaintiff to leave.

At approximately 10:00 p.m., plaintiff contacted the police, signing a complaint for assault and obtaining a temporary restraining order.*fn1 Plaintiff testified on cross-examination that she delayed in contacting the police because, when defendant had attacked her previously, she had not had the "strength" to go to the police, and on this occasion, she sought the support of friends.

Plaintiff's witness, Stephanie Hein, testified that during the two years that the parties' relationship had existed, she had seen defendant hit plaintiff, threaten to kill her, and hold her against her will. Additionally, Hein testified that defendant had threatened Hein and had hit her many times. Further, she had ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.