UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT DISTRICT OF NEW JERSEY
March 30, 2009
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
The opinion of the court was delivered by: Honorable Joseph E. Irenas
MEMORANDUM ORDER DENYING DEFENDANT'S TRAVEL REQUEST
(Docket No. 32)
This matter having appeared before the Court on the request of Ms. Muna Awad ("Awad") to travel internationally during the Summer of 2009 (Docket No. 32), and it appearing that:
1. On May 11, 2007, Awad pled guilty to a one-count information for misprision of a felony, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 4.
2. On September 7, 2007, this Court sentenced Awad to two years of probation.
3. In 2008, Awad received permission from the United States Probation Office for the District of New Jersey ("Probation") to travel outside of the District of New Jersey for a period of three weeks. Awad traveled outside of the district for a total of five weeks; three weeks internationally, and two weeks domestically. Because Awad traveled for two weeks beyond the authorized period, Probation advised her that future requests for extended travel would be denied.*fn1
4. Awad now seeks permission from the Court to travel internationally this summer, for a period of two months.
5. Via letter dated March 20, 2009, Probation indicated that a recent request for similar international travel by Awad was denied. Therein, Probation expressed concern that Awad cannot be properly supervised while traveling abroad for an extended period of time.
6. The Government stated its opposition to Awad's current travel request via letter dated March 20, 2009.
7. The Court finds that Awad has previously failed to follow the instructions of Probation pertaining to travel outside the District.
8. The Court further finds that Awad cannot be properly supervised while traveling abroad for an extended period of time.
And for good cause appearing;
IT IS on this 30th day of March, 2009, ORDERED THAT Awad's travel request is hereby DENIED.
JOSEPH E. IRENAS, S.U.S.D.J.