UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT DISTRICT OF NEW JERSEY
October 7, 2002
EDWARD CLOPP, NORRIS JUSTIS, ROBERT REID MURIE, AND IRIS QUEZERGUE, PLAINTIFFS,
ATLANTIC COUNTY, ATLANTIC COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY, AND WARDEN FRANK MAZZONE, DEFENDANTS.
The opinion of the court was delivered by: Irenas, District Judge
ORDER DENYING DEFENDANT'S MOTION FOR A NEW TRIAL, GRANTING DEFENDANT'S MOTION FOR REMITTITUR OF DAMAGES, GRANTING PLAINTIFFS' APPLICATION FOR ATTORNEY'S FEES AND COSTS AND DENYING PLAINTIFFS' MOTION FOR PRE-JUDGMENT INTEREST
This matter having appeared before the Court upon Defendant Atlantic County's post-trial motion for a new trial or, in the alternative, for a remittitur of damages and Plaintiffs' Edward Clopp, Norris Justis, Robert Murie and Iris Quezerge's post-trial motion for attorney's fees and costs and pre-judgment interest on their award, and the Court having reviewed the submissions of the parties, for the reasons set forth in an Opinion issued by this Court, which findings of fact and conclusions of law are incorporated herein by reference, and for good cause appearing,
IT IS on this 7th day of October, 2002,
1. Defendant's motion for a new trial is DENIED;
2. Plaintiffs' damages award is REMITTED to $75,000 per Plaintiff;
3. Plaintiff is hereby awarded ATTORNEY'S FEES AND COSTS in the amount of $196,894.55;
4. Plaintiffs' motion for pre-judgment interest is DENIED;
5. Plaintiffs shall notify the Court within thirty days from the date of this Order whether they accept the remittitur of the damages award. If Plaintiffs reject remittitur, a new trial shall be held on the issues of liability and damages.
JOSEPH E. IRENAS, U.S.D.J.
© 2002 VersusLaw Inc.