IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF NEW JERSEY
April 19, 2001
SOUTH CAMDEN CITIZENS IN ACTION, GENEVA SANDERS, PAULINE WOODS, BARBARA PFEIFFER, JULITA GILLIARD, OSCAR LISBOA, SHIRLEY RIOS, PHYLLIS HOLMES, GWEN PETERSON, LATOYA COOPER, AND JULIO LUGO, PLAINTIFFS,
NEW JERSEY DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AND ROBERT C. SHINN, COMMISSIONER OF THE NEW JERSEY DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION, IN HIS OFFICIAL CAPACITY, DEFENDANTS, AND ST. LAWRENCE CEMENT CO., L.L.C., DEFENDANT-INTERVENOR.
The opinion of the court was delivered by: Hon. Stephen M. Orlofsky
This matter having come before the Court on the motion of Plaintiffs, South Camden Citizens in Action, Geneva Sanders, Pauline Woods, Barbara Pfeiffer, Julita Gilliard, Oscar Lisboa, Shirley Rios, Phyllis Holmes, Gwen Peterson, Latoya Cooper, and Julio Lugo, for a preliminary injunction and declaratory relief, Olga D. Pomar, Esq., Camden Regional Legal Services, Inc., Jerome Balter, Esq. and Michael Churchill, Esq., Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia, and Luke W. Cole, Esq., Center on Race, Poverty and the Environment, appearing on behalf of Plaintiffs, John J. Farmer, Jr., Esq., Attorney General of New Jersey and James M. Murphy, Esq., Deputy Attorney General, appearing on behalf of Defendants, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and Commissioner Robert C. Shinn, and Brian S. Montag, Esq. and Catherine A. Trinkle, Esq., Pitney, Hardin, Kipp & Szuch, LLP, appearing on behalf of Defendant-Intervenor St. Lawrence Cement Co., L.L.C.;
For the reasons set forth in the OPINION filed concurrently with this ORDER, IT IS on this 19th day of APRIL, 2001, hereby ORDERED that:
1. Plaintiffs' motion for a preliminary injunction is granted;
2. The issuance of the air permits by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection to St. Lawrence Cement Co., L.L.C. is vacated;
3. St. Lawrence Cement Co., L.L.C. is enjoined from operating its proposed facility until further Order of this Court;
4. This case is remanded to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and Commissioner Shinn to make appropriate findings consistent with the Opinion filed concurrently with this Order;
5. The findings made by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and Commissioner Shinn shall be filed with this Court within thirty days of the date of this Order;
6. This Court shall retain jurisdiction of this case.
STEPHEN M. ORLOFSKY United States District Judge
© 2001 VersusLaw Inc.