Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.


February 20, 1980

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ex rel. George Merritt, Jr., Petitioner,
SIDNEY HICKS, Superintendent, New Jersey State Prison at Rahway, and THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY, Respondents.

The opinion of the court was delivered by: MEANOR

George Merritt, Jr., petitioner for a writ of habeas corpus pursuant to 28 U.S.C. ยง 2254, seeks relief from custody imposed following his third conviction for the murder of John Gleason, a Plainfield, New Jersey police officer killed during riots which erupted in that city in July 1967.


 A. Background

 In July 1967, following a period of racial tension and an outbreak of assaults, arson and looting in neighboring communities, rioting broke out in various sections of the City of Plainfield. The disturbance was so severe that the Plainfield Police Department sought merely to contain it by cordoning off the areas and diverting traffic away from the neighborhoods.

 On July 16, 1967, Officer John V. Gleason, a white patrolman, was directing traffic from his post at the corners of Plainfield Avenue and West Front Street. He was in full uniform and was equipped with a white riot helmet, a night stick, and a gun with ammunition. (R-9 at 2.57/10-18) At approximately 8:00 p.m., two white males informed Officer Gleason that they had been threatened and pursued by a black man wielding a hammer. (Id. at 2.56/25-2.57/21) Gleason left his post and followed the man with the hammer down Plainfield Avenue toward West Third Street, where he was encircled by a crowd variously estimated at between 20 to 40 blacks. (Id. at 2.63/4; 2.75/3; 2.119/23) At some point during the confrontation, Gleason fired several shots from his gun, wounding the man with the hammer in the arm and stomach. Gleason then turned to retreat up Plainfield Avenue, but he was pursued by the crowd, knocked to the ground, and kicked and beaten with a baseball bat, a hammer or meat cleaver, a shopping cart, rocks, bottles, boards and a club. (See id. at 2.63/20-2.64/10; 2.75/4-7; 2.119/3-2.120/6) After a few minutes, the crowd dispersed, but a smaller crowd regrouped and attacked the officer a second time. *fn1" Gleason died as a result of the injuries sustained in the beatings.

 Twelve persons, including petitioner, were charged in four separate indictments with the murder of Gleason. The indictments were consolidated for trial and, following a jury trial before the Honorable Chester A. Weidenburner, J.S.C. from November 12 through December 23, 1968, petitioner and a codefendant were found guilty of first degree murder. *fn2" These convictions were reversed on appeal by the Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division, in an unreported opinion dated June 23, 1971. *fn3" (R-3 at Ra2) The Supreme Court of New Jersey granted certification, State v. Merritt, 59 N.J. 287, 281 A.2d 800 (1971), and affirmed the decision of the Appellate Division. State v. Madden, 61 N.J. 377, 294 A.2d 609 (1972).

 A second trial was conducted before the Honorable V. William DiBuono, J.S.C. and a jury from January 28 to February 15, 1974. Petitioner and codefendant Madden were again found guilty of first degree murder. In an unpublished opinion dated October 6, 1976, the Appellate Division affirmed the conviction of Madden but reversed petitioner's conviction and remanded for a new trial. *fn4" (R-3 at Ra16)

 A third trial of petitioner was conducted before the Honorable A. Donald McKenzie, J.S.C. in September 1977. Once again a jury found petitioner guilty of first degree murder. On October 21, 1977, Judge McKenzie denied petitioner's motions for a new trial, for a judgment of acquittal non obstante veredicto, and for bail pending appeal. (R-3 at Ra31; R-17) The Appellate Division affirmed the conviction in a three page opinion dated March 13, 1979 (R-3 at Ra40-42), and the New Jersey Supreme Court denied certification. State v. Merritt, 81 N.J. 278, 405 A.2d 823 (1979). *fn5" Petitioner is currently serving a life sentence at Rahway State Prison.

 In the third trial, as in the previous two trials, the sole witness who identified petitioner as having participated in the attack was one Donald Frazier, a resident of the neighborhood employed as a laborer for a garbage disposal service in South Plainfield. Indeed, in his opening statement to the jury, the prosecutor stated: "Now, the State rests its case, its proofs against George Merritt/George Hollis *fn6" on the testimony which you will hear from Donald Frazier. You will not hear anyone else identify this defendant as having participated in that killing." (R-10 at 22/5-9)

 Frazier testified that he had witnessed the beating of Gleason and that he knew some of the individuals who had participated in the attack. (R-9 at 2.113/7-2.126/18) He stated that petitioner, whom he knew as George Hollis, *fn7" hit Gleason with a hammer or meat cleaver during the initial attack and again during the second beating. (R-9 at 2.119/1-2.120/6; 2.122/20-2.123/17; R-11 at 3.2/5-3.6/20)

 Upon returning to work on Thursday, July 20, 1967, four days after the death of Gleason, Frazier informed his employer that he had observed the attack on the patrolman and that he knew some of the individuals who were involved in the incident. (R-9 at 2.127/5-2.128/3; R-11 at 3.3/1-12; 3.90/7-15; 3.156/12-3.157/7) Thereafter, *fn8" two police officers, later identified as Detective (now Lieutenant) Richard J. Mason of the Union County Prosecutor's Office and Detective Thomas Walker of the New Jersey State Police, interviewed Frazier at his place of employment with respect to the circumstances surrounding Gleason's death. Frazier testified that he informed the officers that he had witnessed the beating of Gleason and that he recognized some of the persons who had participated in the attack. *fn9" On cross examination, Frazier specifically stated that he named petitioner during this interview as one of the individuals who was involved in the incident:

Q When the police came to your job, the police came to your job. Did you tell the police when they came to your job about this fellow, George Hollis?
Q You told them about that?
A Yes.

 (R-11 at 3.83/5-10) And later:

Q You tell this Jury, sir, that you told the police eight days later that Hollis was involved. Is that what you tell this Jury, right, in effect that eight days later when the police arrived at the employees' (sic) place, you told them about Mr. Hollis? Is that your testimony?
A Well, yes. I did because I saw him there.
Q So you told them eight days later, right?
A Yes. . . .

 (Id. at 3.92/7-14) *fn10"

 On August 16, 1967, Frazier signed a formal statement at Plainfield Police Headquarters in the presence of Detectives Richard Mason and Richard Drake of the Union County Prosecutor's Office. The statement contained Frazier's account of the incident, and indicated that he had selected petitioner's picture from among those he had examined at the police station. (R-3 at Ra47-49; see R-9 at 2.128/13-2.137/20). *fn11" When asked what role petitioner had played in Gleason's death, Frazier replied that petitioner had beaten the patrolman with a hammer or meat cleaver and had thrown the instrument at the officer. *fn12"

 B. Petitioner's Brady Claims

 Prior to the commencement of the third trial, petitioner's attorney, *fn13" recognizing the importance of any information that would bear on Frazier's credibility, requested that the prosecutor furnish any written report, internal police document or memorandum concerning the July interview at Frazier's place of employment. (P-3 (a copy of which is attached hereto as "Appendix A")). No such report was produced.

 During pretrial proceedings, defense counsel renewed his efforts to obtain a written report of the July interview, and the following colloquy took place:

THE COURT: Is it the representation of your office, Mr. Rachmiel, that you have no knowledge of any prior statements to the law enforcement authorities by Mr. Frazier prior to the statement of August 16 which I understand had been furnished to Counsel for defendant?
MR. RACHMIEL: No other written statements. There was an oral statement. What had happened is the police had spoken to Mr. Frazier at his place of employment this is according to Frazier's testimony at prior trials within days or weeks or two weeks of the killing. He spoke to them and thereafter he gave the formal statement. I have searched my files and they're quite extensive, but I have not found any police report indicating who went to see him at work or anything to that extent. If I had it, I certainly would have given it to Mr. Ashley as I've given everything that I've been able to find which he has sought. . . .

 (R-4 at 38/24-40/11; see id. at 29/7-22) (Emphasis added.) *fn14" However, the prosecutor repeatedly stated that such a report either did not exist, or could not be located. (See, e.g., R-4 at ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.